Homeowners whose dwellings were damaged in Hurricane Irma can now apply to the Ministry of Health and Social Development for building materials and labour, according to government.

To be eligible, applicants must be displaced homeowners without insurance; be unemployed; or be classified as low-income earners, though other vulnerable individuals will be considered on a “case-by-case basis,” according to Government Information Services.

Applicants also must complete the National Emergency Relief and Recovery Assistance Form, which is available from the Department of Social Development upstairs at the Road Town Senior Centre next to the BVI Red Cross.

Forms are also available at the distribution centres on Jost Van Dyke, Anegada and Virgin Gorda. Completed forms must be returned to the pick-up location.

If possible, applicants should provide a surveyor’s report of the damaged building. If such a report is not available, building assessments can be conducted by qualified professionals identified by the ministry, according to GIS.

The housing assistance programme is being coordinated by the ministry in collaboration with the Rotary clubs and using building supplies provided by the United Kingdom’s Department for International Development; Truck and Equipment Sales and Services; FirstBank; and Digicel.

Other businesses are invited to partner by donating material, labour, supplies or cash vouchers.

All repair work conducted as part of the programme will be done in accordance with Building Regulations issued by the Planning Authority and Building Authority, according to government.

For more information call 541-1192.