A woman who spent six years on remand at His Majesty’s Prison at Balsam Ghut was found not guilty of two counts of murder relating to a pair of fatal shootings in 2017.

Shakilla Hanley, who was 29 at the time of her arrest in 2017, walked free after an eight-week trial following a successful no-case submission from her attorney, Stephen Daniels.

High Court Justice Angelica Teelucksingh granted the submission, effectively clearing Ms. Hanley on Nov. 7.

“There was no evidence,” Mr. Daniels told the Beacon. “None.”

Ms. Hanley was initially charged with the murder of two men: David Springette and Shawn Richards.

Mr. Richards was shot outside his residence in Long Look on May 6, 2017, and he died two days later, police said. The following month, on the evening of June 21, Mr. Springette was shot outside the Wayside Bar in Fat Hogs Bay following two earlier attempts on his life. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

In 2017, the Magistrates’ Court heard that shell casings found at multiple crime scenes indicated that the same firearm was used to shoot Messrs. Springette and Richards.

Then-Director of Public Prosecutions Kim Hollis also told the Magistrates’ Court in 2017 that the two murders were “strikingly similar.” Ms. Hollis said both men were shot in the head in a public place, the gunman in both incidents was wearing dark clothing, and Ms. Hanley was allegedly seen near the scene before each fatal shooting.

‘Justice has prevailed’

But Mr. Daniels told the Beacon that in his opinion, Ms. Hanley ultimately prevailed in court because the crown had failed to prove any element of the crimes.

Asked if Ms. Hanley would seek to sue the government for the lengthy amount of time she spent on remand awaiting trial, Mr. Daniels declined to comment.

“Justice has prevailed,” he said. “It took six years-plus, but justice has prevailed.”

Not guilty

In a related matter also before the High Court recently, Essadro Jefferson was accused of attempting to kill Mr. Springette on Dec. 16, 2016, near The Stickett in Long Look.

But a High Court jury found Mr. Jefferson not guilty on Nov. 13.

Mr. Jefferson faces no further charges in connection with the matter, according to his attorney, Ruthilia Maximea.