The Ballstars upset the Islanders to win the 2011 Terry Evans Cup, 3-1, on Sunday at the A.O. Shirley Recreation Grounds.

The Islanders went into the game as the reigning champions and had played well during the tournament with a win against Old Madrid in the semifinal. However, the team would face a determined and younger Ballstars team in the final.

The Islanders Henroy Mitchell scored first in the sixth minute, while the Ballstars struggled with its passing game. The Islanders would continue to play with confidence throughout the first half.

At the halfway point of the first half, Fitzroy Daley was ejected from the game, after returning to the field of play without permission. Initially, he received a yellow card when he fell on the back of a Ballstars midfielder.

The Ballstars pressured the Islanders back line, not allowing them any time to settle on the ball. The first half would end with the Islanders still leading by one.

In the second half, Carlos Septus created problems for the back line and in the 53rd minute, centre forward Valdo Anderson latched onto a short back pass from Noel Issacs and tried to round Montgomery Butler, only to be brought down for a stone wall penalty.

Rafique Macdowal took the penalty kick and steering the ball past the goalkeeper to tie the game.

Eighteen minutes later, BVI national team player Trevor Peters scored for the Ballstars to take the lead and rally support from the crowd.

Straight from the restart, the Islanders came out firing. There was a sense of urgency in the team’s play and they forced save after save from tournament MVP Carlos Claxton in the Ballstars goal. However, in pushing that many men forward, the Ballstars would score again in the 80th minute when Trevor Peters rushed through the defence to be denied by Mr. Butler. But substitute Jamie McKoy was there to follow up and put the game away for the Ballstars.

There was still time for the Islanders to make a come back, but Mr. Claxton denied both Nano Ottley and Rohand Lennon from close range in the closing minutes.

Terry Evans son Roland and daughter Tricia were on hand to present the team with its trophy.