After being charged on Saturday with indecent assault of a minor, a police officer was granted $45,000 bail with one signed surety during a Monday Magistrates’ Court hearing that was closed to the press.
The charge was first announced in a Saturday press release that did not name the officer but said they would appear before the Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
“This is a serious allegation, and the officer has been charged and will face the judicial process,” Police Commissioner Mark Collins said, according to the press release.
“It would be inappropriate to make any further comment at this stage.”
Shortly before the court opened at 9 a.m. on Monday, an officer at the courthouse told the Beacon that she did not know anything about the charged police officer, and said that only trials were scheduled for that day.
She declined to let this reporter view the list of court hearings for the day.
At 9:30 a.m., a Magistrates Court employee wrote in an email that a complaint for an arrest matter had not yet been filed, but she would let the Beacon know when it is.
When the Beacon followed up on Tuesday morning, a court representative said that the matter had already been dealt with.