As police continue their investigations into irregularities at His Majesty’s Customs, a man was arrested on suspicion of fraud on March 21, according to the Police Information Office.
The man — who the police did not identify — was later released without charges pending further investigation, the PIO stated in a March 22 statement.
The arrest brings to three the total number of people detained and released in relation to “irregularities” within HM Customs, police said.
Eight warrants have also been executed, three of them on vehicles, they added. Thus far, however, no charges have been laid in connection with the investigation, according to the PIO.
Police have provided few other details about the arrests, but they did previously say they had arrested and released a 56- year-old man on Feb. 14 on suspicion of breach of trust by a public official.
The Customs Department is under police investigation in keeping with a recommendation from the Commission of Inquiry report released last April.
Governor John Rankin announced last May that he had instructed Police Commissioner Mark Collins to investigate possible corruption at the department as part of a series of probes of government agencies.
“I am determined that investigations should be held in line with the Commission of Inquiry report and that any public official who has engaged in criminal wrongdoing should be brought to justice and held accountable under the law,” Mr. Rankin said at the time.
“I am also determined that where possible, public funds that may have been misused in relation to the projects under investigation should be recovered and used instead for programmes that benefit all members of our community.”
Among other issues, the COI alleged multiple problems with customs officers’ efforts to recover fees and with potential conflicts of interest in the department. The COI team also recommended a sweeping review of law enforcement and justice systems including Customs