On March 14, interdicted police officers Simon Power and Pamphill Prevost, who each were on trial for one count of conspiracy to steal, walked free after High Court Justice Raymond C.S. Williams upheld no-case submissions made by their lawyers.
But on Friday, the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions announced that it had filed an appeal against the decision.
During a Tuesday interview, Israel Bruce, who is Mr. Power’s counsel, explained that the application will be reviewed later this month by a judge at the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court of Appeal, and that he expects the judge to take a few days to decide whether to grant the ODPP leave to appeal.
Mr. Bruce previously explained that a no-case submission is made by a defence attorney to suggest that the Crown has not submitted sufficient evidence for the case to go any further.
On Tuesday, he said that in conspiracy cases, the Crown must “satisfy a fundamental element that there was an agreement between alleged perpetrators.”
Mr. Bruce’s application “rested principally” on the assertion that no evidence tendered by the Crown “showed that [Mr. Power] was part of an agreement to steal any money during police operations,” he said.
Mr. Prevost was represented by attorney Terrence Williams, who did not respond to requests for comment by press time yesterday.